Wednesday, January 19, 2011
1. The Yosemite Farmhouse (2741 Yosemite Boulevard) could be a name for a quaint historic farmhouse on Yosemite Boulevard in southern Modesto. The home is on a large parcel, which Modesto's GIP describes as to having been built in 1908. The style of the house could be a variant of Italianate architecture based on the bay windows, but this differs.
The house hasn't received much recognition for its historical value. As a tourists' attraction, it has more advantage than the McClure Country House, because the house is strategically located near a county corridor (Highway 132). The farmhouse is surrounded by strawberry fields and the Lonchera "El Maguey", which serves delicious tacos and burritos.
2. The Hawke Castle (115 Magnolia Street) is the name for a 4,164 sq ft residence in central Modesto. The house was built in 1929 for Mr. Edwin Hawke, manager of the J. C. Penney store in Modesto at the time.
After Hawke's passing, his wife sold it to Al (local egineer) and Dorothea Goldschmidt (Modesto High School teacher). After the Goldschmidts, the property was sold to Dr. W. R. Smith. It is presently the George Thayer Real Estate office. The name "Hawke Castle" could be given because it was built as a replica of a Norman castle.
The mansion is in the Norman style of architecture, an art that is rare and practically extinct in Northern California. The house has a pool and well-manicured landscape reminiscent of a European residence.
3. Casa de Moreno (1654 Vivian Road) is a farmhouse in southwest Modesto, also known as Riverdale Park. The home, built in 1940, is a worthy example of Southwest/Mission style of architecture. The house features a stucco exterior with striking Spanish tile awnings over the windows. The house is owned by the Moreno family.